Mail and document merge is an add-on available for Apsona for Salesforce. With it,
you can use Apsona's list views and reports to feed directly into email, Word document (.docx) or Excel (.xlsx) templates to generate one or more emails or documents.
Some example situations:
- Generate custom-formatted Excel spreadsheets from your Salesforce data.
- Send customized thank-you emails to your recent customers for the last week.
- Print thank-you letters for your top donors, or recognition letters for your gold partners, on company letterhead.
- Produce customized lead sheet documents for your field sales personnel, with each lead sheet attached to a customized email.
To meet such needs, you typically set up an email or document template in Salesforce, and generate the list of emails by "merging" the data from your salesforce objects into the email template. Below is a diagram illustrating the process.
More detailed information about email and document merge is available in our help section
Comparison with similar products
|Apsona Document Generator||Conga Composer|
|Generate Word (.docx) documents
|Generate Excel (.xlsx) documents
|Generate PDF documents
|Generate Powerpoint documents
|Generate email messages
||Additional cost (Conga Courier)
|Bulk document generation (documents for multiple records in one run)
||Additional cost (Conga Conductor)
|Email can contain a list (e.g., invoice containing list of items purchased)
|Email from custom domains
|Documents generated entirely within the browser
||Yes (except PDFs)
||No (uses third-party service)
|Excel documents support pivot tables and pivot charts
||Single flat fee
||Per-unit cost based on number of documents/emails generated
|Max rows per report
|Max number of sub-lists
|Max generated document size
||Unlimited (depends only on your computer's memory)
|Max size of template file
||2 MB (recommended)
|Can send scheduled email
|Graphical (WYSIWYG) email template editor
- What does the tool do?
The document generator tool caters to several common situations:
In all of these cases, the data to be merged into the template can be obtained either from an Apsona report, including cross-object reports, or from the
records in any of the Salesforce objects via Apsona's console or tabular views.
- Excel generation: Generate an Excel spreadsheet from an Excel
.xlsx template, containing data from one or more Salesforce objects or Apsona reports or
- Email generation: Generate one or more personalized email messages from an email template, and send off the email messages.
- Document generation: Generate a batch of
.pdf files from a
.docx template, and download the results either as
.zip file or as a single
.docx file with many pages, one for each record.
- Address labels: Generate a list of address labels using standard or custom stationery, with addresses from your Salesforce database.
- Email and document generation: Use a specified email template and a specified document template to generate a batch of email messages and documents,
attach each resulting document to the corresponding email, and send off the emails.
- One-click merge/mail: Set up a button in a detail page of your Salesforce system, so that clicking the button will generate the result of merging
that data record with your template.
- Can I merge data from custom objects or fields?
Yes, Apsona includes complete support for both native and custom objects.
- Does Apsona's merge tool rely on Salesforce's mail merge features?
- Salesforce provides a merge feature that relies on Internet Explorer, as well as a feature called extended merge. The Apsona tool does not require any of these features.
- What browsers and operating systems are supported?
- Apsona's merge tool works best with Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. It is supported on Windows, Mac and Linux platforms, and works with Microsoft Office (versions 2007 or later), OpenOffice or LibreOffice software. We are actively working to provide full support for Internet Explorer and Safari.
- What email provider does it use?
The email component of the merging tool uses Salesforce's built-in single-email-messaging service. Currently, this service limits you
to a maximum of 1,000 email messages per day. If you need larger email message volume, you might consider our Email Connector product.
- What about data privacy and security? How does it work in that regard?
When you generate a Word or Excel document with the Apsona tool, your data never leaves your Salesforce org. All data traffic happens between your browser and
the Salesforce database using the Secure Sockets Layer connection, and the document is generated entirely within your browser. There is no third-party service
involved. This architecture is quite different from other document generation tools on AppExchange (such as Conga or Drawloop), which need to transmit your data
to their servers in order to prepare the documents. This architecture also enables Apsona to generate and deliver documents much more quickly than other
When you generate a PDF file, however, we have to make an exception. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to convert a Word or Excel document to PDF format entirely
within the browser. For this reason, PDF conversion relies on an external service that we provide. However, we ensure that the data transmitted to this service is limited
to the content of the generated Word document, and nothing else. And, of course, that the communication happens entirely over the Secure Sockets Layer, with
safeguards in place to guard against cross-site scripting and similar attacks.
- What templates can it use?
- For email templates, the merging tool can use any of the templates stored in your salesforce org, i.e., the ones accessible via
Setup - Communication
Templates - Email Templates. For document templates, the merging tool can use any
.xlsx files available in your Salesforce Documents object.
- What does it cost?
Please visit our pricing page for details.
- How do I get it?
- In your Apsona app within your Salesforce org, click the Feedback link on the top right, and in the resulting popup, select "License request". Fill in a
bit of text (e.g., "I want to try mail merge") and click Send. This will also tell us the org id and your user id, and make it easier for us to set up your
trial. If you don't already have Apsona for Salesforce installed, please install it by visiting
our AppExchange listing.
- How does it compare to other similar products?
- You don't need special names for merge fields. This is unlike many other products. When
creating a template, you can make up any field names you want, and the merge tool discovers and matches
those names with your data fields on-the-fly.
- You can mix-and-match templates used with reports. Since merge field names are not linked to (i.e.,
don't have to be the same as) either data field names
or report field names, you can use the same report with multiple templates. For example, you can create an
Apsona report of your top opportunities from last month, filter it once for the gold partners and send
using the "gold" template, and then filter it for the "bronze" partners to send using the bronze
template. The two templates do not have to use the same field names.
- It can use any of your existing document and email templates — no need to rewrite any of them, even if you have prepared them for another vendor's (such as Conga or Drawloop) products.
- It works with cross-object reports. So you can (for example) create a report including contact fields and
total value of opportunities/donations, and send the results via email.
- What are its limitations?
- The merge tool handles Word .docx format and can produce pdf files. The Excel generator requires .xlsx format. The older
.xls formats are not supported, but you can use the Microsoft's Office Compatibilty Pack to circumvent this limitation.
- Tell me more about creating templates.
Please watch the video at the top of this page, or visit our help and support section.